Inspired by Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen
Sometimes you just need a little good old-fashioned home cookin’! But that doesn’t mean that it can’t be a healthy dish you feel good about serving your family or bringing to a party! Here is what I like to call…
Guilt-Free Mac & Cheese
Makes 12 servings
- 12oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 13.25oz box of whole wheat elbow pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 14oz can vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Delicatessen style mustard
- 8oz package shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat over to 350. Place thawed spinach in paper towel lined bowl to soak up moisture. Set aside.
- Cook pasta per directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp. oil in large pan on medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 min. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp. oil, flour and pepper. MIx. Whisk in milk, broth, soy sauce, and mustard. Raise heat to a boil, continue to stir. Then reduce heat to low and stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in cheddar cheese and spinach. Add pasta. Place mixture in 9 X 13 pan. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake until golden brown, about 15 min.
*If you want to skip the last step, just serve pasta without Parmesan cheese to save on time and a dirty dish!
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- 267 Calories
- 10g Fat
- 4g Saturated Fat
- 18mg Cholesterol
- 317mg Sodium
- 32g Carbohydrate
- 5g Fiber
- 12g Protein