We’re always looking for fun things to do for date night. It’s usually a movie or dinner, but via a gift card I got for my birthday, we decided to try something new…a cooking class!
We went to a Date Night class at Cooking at the Cottage in The Vogue Center on Lexington Rd. The class was taught by Chef Michael Cunha from Sullivan University, and it was a blast!
(Disclaimer: We would have had more pictures, but we were too busy guzzling wine apparently:)
On the menu: Recipes by Chef Michael Cunha
- Manhattan Style Seafood Chowder with Garlic Herb Crostini
- Boneless Pork Loin Stuffed with Spinach, Feta Cheese and Toasted Pine Nuts
- Poached Pear & Almond Bread Pudding Topped with Cinnamon Crème Fraiche
Now, of course we were a little outside our “cooking comfort zone,” but we really learned some good stuff! (I really don’t bake, and the soup had a few too many ingredients)…but…..the stuffed pork was amazing! I’ve never made a stuffed…..anything! Would have had no idea how to do it, BUT now I do!!!
- Pound the meat until it is thin and uniform in size
- Place your stuffing in the middle of the meat (whatever you want – in this case it was spinach, toasted pine nuts and feta cheese crumbles)
- Roll the pork over the stuffing pin-wheel style
- Bread the meat using three separate bowls – dip first in the flour, then the “egg wash“, then in breadcrumbs (Chef Michael said this is a very common 3 step breading process.)
- In a sauté pan, heat the pan, add vegetable oil and brown the pork on all 4 sides.
- Lastly, bake at 350 until internal temp reaches 155 degrees (if you don’t have a meat thermometer……get one.)
We were really impressed with ourselves!!! However, as stated earlier, we were a bottle of wine deep by then…plus some our neighbors so kindly gave us….so, we have no pictures to prove our success.
It was a great night, and I CAN’T WAIT to go back! I highly recommend Cooking at the Cottage for date night, girls night out, wedding/shower presents, whatever! Their schedule is on their website – BEWARE: THEY BOOK UP FAST! Menu and chefs change with each event. Let me know if you check it out!
Here’s the gracious host/owner, Mark Bayens. Thanks again, Mark! Great night!