At 42 calories per cup, spaghetti squash should be an absolute fall staple! You can dress it up any way you’d like: Italian, Thai, Southwestern…add meat or keep it vegetarian. The options are endless! But no matter what, you’ll be getting a wide array of important nutrients like fiber, beta carotene, potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin A, and folate!
Here is a great video on Spaghetti Squash:
See for yourself the versatility of spaghetti squash by trying this easy and delicious recipe!
Modified from this Tasty Kitchen Recipe
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 1 whole spaghetti squash (from Green BEAN Delivery)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (usually found in the produce section – pre-packaged in a bag)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 whole chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese, extra for serving
- Red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Zap squash whole in microwave for 30 seconds to soften
- With a sharp knife, cut squash lengthwise, scrape to remove seeds with a spoon. (Note: it will be hard to cut – use those muscles, and BE CAREFUL)
- Place squash face down on baking sheet. Cook for 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to remove strands into a bowl. (looks similar to noodles).
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup chicken broth, tomatoes, and broccoli. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and remaining ¾ cup chicken broth and squash. Add ¼ cup cheese and stir.
- Reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve squash topped with a pinch of shredded parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for a kick!
- 327 Calories
- 12.8g Fat
- 1.7g Saturated Fat
- 78mg Cholesterol
- 708mg Sodium
- 21g Carbohydrate
- 6.2g Fiber
- 34.7g Protein