This year it’s all about easy….and what my 10 month old will eat. I need quick, I need healthy, and I need for it to be toddler friendly. This was just a case of A.C. (accidental casserole.) You know, you have a few leftovers lying around, you toss them into a 9 X 13, and see what you get! This time…it worked.
Whole Wheat Hearty Italian Casserole (serves 9)
- 16oz whole wheat pasta (shells or penne, or both)
- 1lb ground beef (go for locally grown, grass-fed if you can)
- 24oz pasta sauce (your choice)
- 8oz ricotta cheese, part skim
- 8oz shredded Mozzarella, park skim
- 8oz shredded Italian Blend
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasonings (Penzey’s Spices used)
- Brown meat (in a large pan) and cook noodles (separately)
- In meat pan, mix in sauce, seasonings and cooked noodles.
- Mix ricotta and mozzarella in a bowl.
- In a 3 quart pan, layer 1/2 the meat and noodles, then all the mixed ricotta and mozzarella, then other 1/2 of meat and noodles, then shredded Italian blend.
- Bake at 350 for 25 min.
- 447 Calories
- 16g Fat
- 8g Saturated Fat
- 69mg Cholesterol
- 608mg Sodium
- 45g Carb
- 7g Fiber
- 33g Protein